2 slices of sourdough, rye or multi-grain bread
1-2 strips bacon, lean, thick-sliced, maple-smoked (optional) pork, turkey, beef or vegetarian all work equally well)
Cheddar, Swiss and Gouda cheese, very thinly sliced
2 slices medium-sized meaty tomato, set aside on paper towel to remove excess juice
1 tsp. butter (optional)
pepper, salt, granulated garlic
1. Fry bacon to desired crispness. Remove from pan, pour out some of the drippings. Or wipe out quickly with a paper towel, depending on amount of crispiness desired on outside of sandwich.
2.Turn pan down to medium low.
3. Quickly swish one side of each slice of bread in pan to lightly coat bread. Or very lightly butter one side of each slice. Leave bread in pan, side by side, dry sides up.
4. Add 1 one layer of each kind of cheese.
5. Cover with layer of tomato and layer of with fried bacon strip(s).
6. Sprinkle to taste with black pepper, granulated garlic. Use salt if bacon isn’t salty enough for your taste.
7. Cover with second slice of bread and cook over medium low heat, turning several times until cheese is melted to taste. Depending on amount of cheese, heat source and type of pan, anywhere heat might be best from medium to low.
Optional: Heat a half cup to one cup of marinara sauce on the stove or in the microwave as a dipping sauce.