A series of town hall meetings will be held in March to gather input on the needs of low-income families throughout Inyo and Mono counties.
Jane McDonald of Inyo-Mono Advocates for Community Action said IMACA holds these meetings every two years to adjust its Community Action Plan, and attempt to meet the changing needs of the community. McDonald explained that this is a way for the group “to keep the finger on the pulse” of the community.
The meetings are also a way for IMACA to plan ahead, financially, in trying to meet demands.
One of those demands over the past year, McDonald said, has been a community garden. She noted IMACA is trying to facilitate that desire with community gardens sprouting up throughout the county, and a larger one to be part of the Bishop City Park Master Plan.
McDonald added that IMACA has no expectations of what other community needs might be, but basics such as affordable housing, jobs, food and utility assistance have always been a concern.
The other part of these meetings, McDonald explained, is a public outreach program – “educating people about what services we provide or what they might be eligible for.”
Translators will be available at the meetings for non-English speakers, and written materials will be available in both English and Spanish.
The meetings, which have been set at various times to accommodate as many schedules as possible, are as follows.
Tuesday, March 8
• 1 p.m. at the Antelope Valley Senior Center, 399 Mule Deer Rd. Walker for residents of Walker, Coleville and Bridgport
• 1 p.m. at 126 Mono Lake Ave., Lee Vining
• 4 p.m. at the June Lake Community Center, 90 Granite Ave.
• 5:30 p.m. at 625 Old Mammoth Rd.
Wednesday, March 9
• 9:30 a.m. at 625 Old Mammoth Rd.
• 9:30 a.m. at the Sierra Baptist Church, 346 N. Edwards St. in Independence
• 10:30 a.m. at the Town Hall Senior Center, 150 Dewey St., in Big Pine
• 2:30 p.m. at the Benton Community Center, 25474 Highway 6
• 1 p.m. at the Bishop Senior Center.
• 5 p.m. at the Inyo Council for the Arts, 137 S. Main St.
Thursday, March 10
• 1 p.m. at the Tecopa Community Center, 400 Tecopa Hot Springs in Tecopa
Friday, March 11
• 10 a.m. outside the IMACA trailer in Darwin
Wednesday, March 16
• 1:30 and 5 p.m. in Statham Hall, 138 in Lone Pine for Lone Pine Keeler, Cartago and Olancha residents
For more information, call IMACA toll-free at (800) 541-1822.