Skip to main content

Police investigating Main Street ‘smash & grab’

September 23, 2010

Police officers in Bishop have been busy this week, investigating an early-morning burglary at a Main Street business and a high- speed pursuit through the city that landed Bishop resident David Lawrence Baker behind bars.
The work week started off early for Bishop officers as a burglary alarm sounded at about 3:30 a.m. Monday morning at Supply Audio & Video on Main Street.
According to Bishop Police Detective Mark Gutierrez, the burglar or burglars broke into the shop through the rear glass doors, stealing approximately $3,000 worth of HP laptops, iPods and camcorders.
Gutierrez said officers arrived at the scene less than a minute after receiving the call, but the thieves had already fled.
“What happened is, the alarm company called the owners, then called the police,” Gutierrez said. “So it’s hard to say how long it was from the time the alarm went off to the time we were dispatched.”
There are currently no suspects in the case, but Gutierrez said evidence was collected at the scene, and the investigation is ongoing.
If anyone is apprehended for the break-in, they could face charges of grand theft and breaking and entering.
The following morning, a pursuit on West Line Street stopped traffic as officers pursued a suspected drunk driver from Whitney Alley to See Vee Lane.
According to Sergeant Dave Jepson, officers received a report of a drunk driver in Whitney Alley. As Officer Brent Gillespie responded to the call, Sgt. Jepson witnessed a subject matching the description of the suspected drunk driver pull out of the Elks Parking lot onto Line Street on a black Harley Davidson.
Jepson attempted to pull the motorcyclist over, but “he blew right by me, westbound on Line Street,” he said.
Jepson and Gillespie gave chase, with a third officer joining in as the pursuit passed the courthouse at City Hall.
Jepson said the motorcyclist lost his helmet near the courthouse, and made unsafe passing maneuvers through the center median near Fowler Street.
“He was having trouble keeping the bike up. Somewhere near See Vee he began to fish-tale. That’s when I got on my loud speaker and told him to pull over. And he did, which was good, because he was going to crash,” Jepson said.
Baker was taken into custody without further incident. He was arrested for allegedly driving while under the influence.
Jepson said the District Attorney’s Office may press additional charges at a later date.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes