Skip to main content

Bishop goes 1-0 in league

October 21, 2013

Noah Stevens scored Bishop’s first two TDs against the Ravens. Photo by Greg Lippincott

The Bishop Broncos enjoyed a much-needed football victory against their opponent, the Ravens, beneath the windless evening sky in Cal City.
The first half kick off put the Broncos deep in their own territory at the 9-yard line. The team advanced the ball a short distance up field before the Ravens took over on Bishop’s 28 off an errant snap on the punt.
The Broncos looked to be facing a slow start to the game when Cal City fumbled the ball and Bishop seized the opportunity and the ball. In a spark of determination the Broncos began their drive. Dustin Waasdorp covered an impressive amount of turf getting the ball to the 13-yard line. Noah Stevens took over and sprinted in for a Bronco touchdown. Bishop led the game, 7-0.
Early on in the second quarter the Broncos widened the gap with a 32-yard Jarod Dossey field goal for a 10-0 lead.
This score, however, didn’t hold for long; the Ravens quickly responded with their first two touchdowns of the game pulling ahead of the Broncos, 10-13. This seemed to shock Bishop into action and as the seconds ticked down on the first half Stevens went in from the 12-yard line for his second touchdown of the game. At halftime, the teams were tied with a score of 16 to 16 following a successful Cal City field goal, the fate of the game left undecided.
Fortunately for the Broncos, the second half tilted entirely in their favor with the Ravens held scoreless through 24 minutes of play.
The Ravens were held to 4th and 16 on their first possession. The snap to the punter went awry, the kicker took his knee at Cal City’s 29 and the mistake costs the Ravens big with Bishop in solid field possession. Waasdorp cut loose to the Ravens’ 10 and Olsen went in for the TD. The point-after was good and Bishop extended its lead 23-16.
The Broncos started their next possession from their own 1-yard line. Bishop refused to be subdued and in an incredible show of determination the team began its march down field. Cameron White closed the final yards between Bishop and their second touchdown of the final half. The score jumped to 30 to 16 with the Broncos at a strong advantage, having just achieved an incredible 99-yard drive to the end zone.
In the final quarter with the Ravens threatening, Cal City fumbled and Collin Batchelder dove in for the recovery, giving Bishop possession. Waasdorp seized his chance, broke away from the action, and sprinted an impressive 44 yards down the field for another Bishop touchdown. The score held at 36 to 16 as the final seconds on the clock tick down for a Bronco victory.
Cal City’s next two possessions were interrupted by a Desmond Frank interception and a second Batchelder fumble recovery.
Coach Bill Egan was pleased with the team’s performance during the game. The Broncos gained nearly 500 yards on offense on the whole, which Egan found particularly impressive. The game proved a well-earned triumph for the Broncos and Egan is optimistic that the team “will be up for the challenges” they face in coming weeks, starting with this Friday’s Homecoming game against Frazier Mountain.

View more articles in:
Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes