Skip to main content

Councilman Ellis seriously injured

February 9, 2012

Bishop City Councilman Jim Ellis is recovering at a Las Vegas hospital from a serious head injury suffered Friday in Arizona. His family has said his condition continues to improve and asks that Ellis be kept in everyone’s thoughts and prayers during this time. Photo courtesy City of Bishop

Bishop City Councilman Jim Ellis is recovering in a Nevada hospital from a serious head injury suffered over the weekend on an annual fishing trip.
Ellis was airlifted to Las Vegas for emergency medical treatment Friday evening after falling from a moving vehicle, striking his head on the ground and losing consciousness.
According to family and Bishop Police Chief Chris Carter, who was with Ellis at the time of the accident, the City Council member and married father of six is expected to make a full – if slow – recovery.
“Councilman Ellis’ family wanted everyone to know that Jim’s prognosis is good and they appreciate everyone’s support,” Carter said via press release issued Tuesday. Carter added that Ellis is currently resting comfortably and his condition continues to improve.
Ellis was initially placed in the Intensive Care Unit at Las Vegas’ Sunrise Hospital after being transferred there by helicopter Friday night.
“ … his condition quickly improved and he was transferred out of ICU late Sunday evening,” Carter said.
The longtime local resident and Bishop High School grad had been in Arizona with Carter, Bishop Police Sgt. Dan Nolan and other friends on an annual fishing trip. Around 5 p.m. Friday, Ellis was returning from a short trip to a local market. According to Carter, Ellis was riding in the rear-facing seat of an electric car, and as the vehicle approached the home where he was staying and began to slow down, Ellis stepped off before it came to a complete stop.
“Witnesses said that it appeared that he misjudged the speed of the vehicle and lost his footing, causing him to fall and strike his head,” Carter said.
Ellis was knocked unconscious by the fall and an ambulance was immediately called. Carter said Ellis was transported to the local hospital where it was determined that his injuries were “potentially serious,” prompting his air transfer to Vegas.
Carter and Nolan followed Ellis to Las Vegas and were joined there by the councilman’s family, who, Carter said, “have asked that we all keep Jim in our thoughts and prayers during this time of his recovery.”
Carter added that he and Ellis have been friends for several years and he knows that Ellis is “one tough cookie” and will come through just fine.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes