Skip to main content

Deputy attacked by dog while investigating bomb threat

July 14, 2011

An alleged bomb threat that turned into a foot pursuit and then a dog attack on a deputy and the arrest of three local residents, kept local law enforcement busy for a couple hours in Bishop on Monday night.
Christina Perez, 28, Joel Soto, 19, and a 16-year-old male, all of Bishop, were arrested on charges ranging from resisting arrest to battery on a peace officer.
The juvenile was cited and released to his parents.
Perez was booked to Inyo County Jail on charges of allegedly resisting arrest with bail set at $5,000. She was also held on $200,000 in out-of-county warrants.
Soto was booked into ICJ for alleged felony resisting arrest, battery on a peace officer, criminal threats and making a false bomb threat with bail set at $25,000.
The first call of a bomb threat came in just before 7 p.m. Monday, July 11, according to Administrative Lieutenant Jeff Hollowell of the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department.
A Bishop resident reported that two male subjects were making bomb threats at the resident’s door. Hollowell explained that the threats may have been prompted by incidents earlier that day. Responding deputies could not locate the men, who were reportedly last seen in the vicinity of West Line Street and Barlow Lane.
One of the men returned to the residence an hour later and “caused a disturbance,” Hollowell said. The subject then left on foot, leaving eastbound on Line Street from Pa Ha Lane. A deputy, coincidentally in the area at the time, spotted a woman walking near Line Street and Barlow Lane with a male subject who matched the description of one of the men from the earlier bomb threat report. The male subject then fled on foot with the deputy in pursuit, also on foot.
Hollowell said the woman, Perez, must have followed the male subject and the deputy because the male subject ran directly to the residence of Soto and Perez, where Perez was waiting.
Hollowell said that “someone” opened the gate to the Soto/Perez residence letting two pit bull dogs loose, one of which attacked the deputy. Hollowell said the deputy drew his service weapon and fired twice, striking one of the dogs.
Moments later the Bishop Police Department reported to the Sheriff’s Department that it and the California Highway Patrol had two subjects in custody and a third in custody a minute later. Hollowell said that from the time of the second call to the detention of the three subjects was about 10 minutes.
The deputy was taken to Northern Inyo Hospital, treated for a dog bite and released. Hollowell said that as of noon Tuesday, the shot dog was alive and recovering at a local veterinary clinic.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes